Location & Hours

open 10am to 6pm Tues-Fri & 9am to 3pm Saturdays

Friday, February 4, 2011

Three homemade ways to pamper yourself on a snow day!

Ah.. a snow day in Austin, Texas. What does one do on a day like today? Snuggle on the sofa? Yes. Watch girlie movies? Sure. Make a snowball and stick it in the freezer? Absolutely. After a while (if you're anything like me) that all gets old some time around mid afternoon. All this down time got me thinking. What can I do that does not involve getting dressed or having to go outside? Then it hit me. At home beauty treatment day!! *FYI- That sounded a lot like "Orange Mocha Frappuccino" in my head.

I'm always reading articles about homemade remedies and treatments and stuff, so I decided to try some out. First up, a milk and honey bath. I've seen lots of varying recipes for this one, but for the sake of not leaving my apartment I went with the simplest variation. One cup honey, two cups milk, and (because I happened to have it) half a teaspoon of lavender oil. By the time my fingers got all wrinkly my skin felt soft and silky. This treatment was so cheap and so easy! I will definitely do this one again.

The next treatment I tried was an oatmeal and yogurt face mask. It was so easy to make. Only three ingredients! I mixed a tablespoon of ground up oatmeal (a coffee grinder works great for this), one  tablespoon plain live yogurt, and a few drops of warm honey in a bowl. I left the mask on for about ten minutes before rinsing with warm water. The oatmeal gave the mask a some light exfoliation action while the yogurt soothed my sensitive skin. Success! I even used some chamomile tea as a homemade facial toner. Oh and I sipped some tea as well. Yummm..
Hey! It's that one time I pretended to be domestical.

All this gathering and mixing of ingredients started making me feel way too domesticated, so I decided to stop after this next homemade concoction. What better way to end my day of beauty with a soothing foot bath? This was super easy. I filled a plastic tub with warm water (enough to cover my ankles) and added a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil. I also sliced a lemon and placed the slices in the water. I don't know if the lemon helped, but it sure did look pretty! Sit, sit, sit. Soak, soak, soak..

So there you have it, Ana's recipe (or recipes) for a fabulous day inside.And you don't have to wait for the next snow day. I mean, let's face it. We don't get many of those in Texas. Give this stuff a try on your next day off or evening at home. If you aren't impressed, at least it was cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment